Defusing a Google Bomb
STEVEN J. HOROWITZ
Harvard University - Harvard Law School
Yale Law Journal Pocket Part, Vol. 117, 2007
Anonymous internet defamation is nothing new, but the recent Autoadmit controversy highlights one particularly difficult aspect of this problem: Google bombing. As private individuals are defamed on popular anonymous message boards, searches on Google and other engines return the defamatory posts as top hits for those individuals. This short essay suggests a notice and takedown solution modeled after the DMCA's similar provisions. I argue that such a solution is much more effective for the Google bomb problem than for copyright infringement because the parties involved are much more likely to have similar legal resources than in copyright disputes.
- AdSense (1)
- AdSense Report Card (1)
- Advertising (1)
- Baseball (1)
- Bidding and Ranking (1)
- Book Search (1)
- Browser (1)
- Freakonomics (1)
- Geo-Targeting (1)
- Google (6)
- Google advertising (1)
- Google Reader (1)
- iGoogle (1)
- Internet Advertising (1)
- MSN/Live (1)
- New Yorker (1)
- Opera (1)
- Salary (1)
- Search (1)
- search engine marketing (2)
- Search engine optimization (2)
- Seattle Mariners (1)
- SEM (1)
- SEO (2)
- Smoking (1)
- Text Ad (1)
- Toobin (1)
- Yahoo (1)
- Yahoo Search Marketing Blog (1)
- AdSense Report Card
- Yahoo's Search Marketing Tutorials.
- Prof. Sandeep Krishnamurthy's Shared Items on Goog...
- From the Wall Street Journal: Three Myths on Boost...
- Top Search Engines in July 2007.
- Six Degrees of Bill Gates
- Baseball team salary and their win-loss record
- The Power of Disgusting Advertising
- Swag, Swag, Swag
- Google RSS Reader Adds Search
- Beloit College Mindset List for the Class of 2011
- Opera, the Real Google Browser?
- Content for iGoogle.
- Google's Moon Shot
- Top Viewed Properties on Zillow.
- Dan Pink finds the best quotes.
- See What Google Talk Users Are Listening To
- Defusing a Google Bomb
- Inside the Googleplex
- GMail Videos Get Unbelievable View Numbers
- The Zune phone concept is not dead in the water ye...
- Marketing Words of Wisdom
- "All Marketers Are Liars" by Seth Godin
- Wall Street Journal quotes me!
- Pecha Kucha
- US Open
- Top 10 Sites on Alexa.com today
- September (29)